Let us meet a soutache jewels artist and discover all together the reasons for which she has taken up this path.
- How long have you working with this “art”?
I have been drawing and creating jewelry and accessories with soutache method since four years ago.
- Why exactly this technique, rather other? What about soutache method did attract you?
Because the Soutache technique gives me the chance to design jewellery with new shapes and lines, difficult to achieve with metals. Moreover it gives me the opportunity to create endless combinations of colors and embed precious and half precious stones.
- Do you have an artistic background?
Yes, I was born as a painter and I have studied in several Roman painters’ workshops.
- Initially was the Soutache an Hobby? Did you search for something able to stop your stress out? Did you need to transmit, to communicate an emotion? or was it simply a way to come out and reveal your ability?
Normally, to any form of art, you approach by chance. And that is what is happened to me when I have meet soutaches for the first time. Only to satisfy my curiosity and in order to find a creative an artistic hobby I started doing technical training courses. Gradually, I learnt to know and to manage these materials and I begun to invent shapes and lines more and more complicated and difficult. So my acquaintance started asking me to buy my products and, in a short time, I thought to organize a small workshop, to build the website showcase and to sell online my jewelry.
- How does a piece of jewelry see the light? Is there first a drawing on paper?
All my jewels are based on an idea, which can be inspired by a colour, a stone, a place. Then follows the drawing on paper.
- When this hobby did rise to a profession?
Not long after that I began producing my own jewelry’s pieces, I started receiving sales’ requests.
- Is it difficult to be known in Italy? Are you rightly considered? Does Italy earmark founds or support for who takes up this career?
Unfortunately in Italy it is really difficult to be taken seriously when you offer something new or just different from the usual. The jewelry distribution chain in Italy is anchored to the traditional jewels, or it is getting from the new international brands. All too often the Italian handcrafted products are esteemed much more abroad than in Italy, and unfortunately, my experience can only confirm that. Nowadays the craftsmanship can be known through the web, that brings us into homes all over the world.